Pages

Monday, September 12, 2011

Pat-a-cake, Pat-a-cake, Baker's Man



Over the past few weekends, I've been working on the child's kitchen cupboard I bought while vacationing this summer.  It's solidly built and in near perfect condition, but needed a painted finish to brighten it up.

I decided to give it a vintage 1940's look with a faux enamel countertop similar to this antique featured at Walnut & Vine :


I especially like the red accents since I'll be painting the play stove and sink red to coordinate with the cupboard.  One of the many projects on my to-do list.





I started by giving it a good cleaning with an ammonia and water solution and then filling the small holes and dings with wood filler and the large ones with plastic wood.  After a thorough sanding, I applied 2 coats of  Zinsser primer.  I wanted to paint it Martha Stewart green, but the first quart of paint I had mixed turned out to be mint green. I guess I really want a Martha Stewart green cupboard that looks like it's been stored in a barn for a couple of decades.  In the end, these are the paint colors I chose:







To decorate the upper doors in true 40's style, I found a simple stencil design in a book I own and cut the stencil out of Contact Paper I had on hand. 


 I stenciled one door and then flipped the stencil over (after cleaning it with alcohol) to stencil the opposing door.



I used acrylic craft paints for the rooster stencil.  There's no need to apply a clear coat over the top, because once the craft paint cures, the design will be permanent.

I kept the original hinges and door latches, but replaced the knobs with chunky wood knobs I painted red.  I also painted the edge of the countertop red to look like the one on the vintage cupboard pictured above.



Here's the before:


And here's the after:



 Now for the fun part.  Playing Accessorizing!

Set of colorful canisters to store Play-Doh, etc.



Egg timer and rolling pin.



Every 1940's era kitchen must have red and white crocheted pot holders!


Most of the vintage "accessories" I either pulled out of storage or picked up for a few dollars at local shops.  Believe it or not, the "Fiesta" dishes were purchased in the Walmart toy department for $5.00 a set!  And, they are durable.  I know this after dropping a few pieces on a concrete floor and they didn't break!


I may never learn to make sarmas, potica, or strudel like my Baba, but the play kitchen I'm creating for our grandchildren will look much like the kitchen in which she created her Slovenian fare.


Linked to:


Furniture Feature FridaysBRAMBLEBERRY COTTAGEFeathered Nest Friday




Domestically Speaking


21 comments:

  1. Your grandbabies are going to have so much fun! Cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Your little cabinet turned out adorable, love the colors! When I lived in WI, years ago I picked up a similar one for my daughter at a yard sale but never got around to redoing it. Your grandkids are going to love it! Glad you liked my cabinet, thanks for showing it off on your blog!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you did an amazing job with the cabinet. From all the refinishing right done to the accessories. Love the chunky red knobs.
    Karen G

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a feeling Mack is going to be quite the cook like his dadda and grampa p....so this will be good for practice. ;) SUPER cute!!!!!! I love the red knobs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. BRAVO!!!! Wow! great transformation.... You took a pretty ugly piece of furniture and made it a treasure! THAT was alot of work for sure.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Is that not the cutest thing ever? You did a fabulous job! Thanks so much for your sweet comments and for entering my Annie Sloan giveaway! Hope you are having a great week!...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully restored, love the colors you chose. Love the Bridgeman's milk bottle, remember them being in the fridge growing up on the Da'Range!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That kitchen cupboard is going to make a little person VERY happy. What a great transformation too. Great details.
    - Joy

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is too adorable for words! You did an excellent job, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great play set, your grandchildren are very lucky ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Be still my heart!! That is the cutest thing EVER!! You did SUCH a great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous! I would love to play with that!!! I love those canisters! Why can't I find items like that???
    That stencil may be just what I was looking for for the upper doors on this hutch [below]! Where can I find it?
    http://solongfarm.blogspot.com/2011/06/some-things-are-never-done.html

    [PS- the music you have? Somewhere over the Rainbow is my favorite song EVER... I needed that this morning. Thanks!]

    ReplyDelete
  13. That turned out so CUTE! I might just have to dig out the old china cupboard our kids used to play with and give it a makeover.

    Walmart? Really? Those dishes are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How completely adorable! Love the red!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is just too darn cute. Any child would love this little play cabinet. In fact I want it for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, how cute! I'm sure it will be well-loved :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am in love with it. The roosters, the paint colors, the accessories - love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just had to stop by and see more pics of these precious cupboard! You did a great job and I LOVE your accessories! My dolls will come by for tea and crumpets! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is such a creative and absolutely fantastic transformation. Your blog is full of creativity and I'm admiring them all. Hope you can link up also in my Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop every Sunday at 5 pm.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my gosh, this is so darn cute! Love the 'enamel' top and canisters for storage. Well done DeeDee!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make it all worthwhile. Thanks for visiting today!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...