Pages

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Toys in the Attic

I've been buying girl things my whole life, and when Mack came along, I thought it would be difficult to find vintage boy things.  Au contraire!   Here are a few treasures I stored in our attic until our Christmas celebration last weekend. 

I literally tripped over this box in the basement of the last estate sale I attended.  It was marked $7.00.


I thought it was a homemade toolbox until an elderly man informed me that it was in fact an army ammunition box.  I didn't photograph the bottom, but it's stamped "Cedar Box Co./ Cedar Avenue,  Mpls."  It didn't take a huge stretch of the imagination to see it would make a perfect toy box for the little guy.  I cleaned decades of dirt and grime off and gave it a light sanding to remove the loose paint, followed by a coat of polyurethane.

It already had the perfect rope handles.


I added a safety hinge.....


...and casters to make it easy to pull around.  Or put the cats inside and give them a little joyride.   meow

The finished toy box for the little man has come full circle and is back in Minneapolis where it was created.


 Oh, wait!  Let's personalize it.
The tin letters were 5 for a dollar. 




Might as well get 10 for $2.00!  I'll let the P family arrange them.



Now, if you've followed my blog for awhile, you know I have a weakness for......

....rusty old toy trucks!  Don't you love the colors and graphic detail on this tin truck?!  I would guess that it was an advertising promo for the Glendale Wrecker & Repair Company.


I almost kept this beauty for myself, but decided not to be selfish and settled for playing around with it for a few weeks.  It will look adorable in Mack's room.


I also found....
...mini bowling pins photographed in a rare moment of sunshine.



And Julie's favorite....

...a tiny harmonica!


For the little mademoiselle.


Her very own...
...barn!



It's got large sliding doors and windows for light and ventilation.


The interior is nicely whitewashed so Finley's dollies can have a barn dance.


But for now.....
...some age appropriate animals to inhabit the space.



I found this leather souvenir compact sporting the family name of St. Pierre from Dave's side. 



And my personal favorite for Mack Julie.

A bargain at only $1.50.

Little Tommy Tucker.  Just look at those teeth that face!  Julie can place it on her desk at work.  It will be sure to bring a smile to her coworkers.

Now I need to start looking for next year's Christmas presents!

Thanks for stopping by!
Vickie

Linked to:
The Charm of Home Home Sweet Home
Miss Mustard Seed FFF
Funky Junk Interiors Saturday Nite Special

25 comments:

  1. Love the toy box. We have been looking for one for Tiger and my SIL had one of his band mates give him this great toy box from the 70's. Needs some work but is perfect. They love vintage also! hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. You found some cool things Vickie. I LOVE that toy truck. So so cute!

    xo,
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I tell you how glad I am that I found your blog back when? I am DOG tired tonight from working in the studio and all the other stuff in my non-blog life. I mean tired. I am just fudging through the blogs trying not to miss something and I come across your post.

    Really?? I mean, come on! That trunk and what you did with it is just pure wonderful. The toys, the everything about this post...even you tripping over it and the snow piled on it in the pic, everything is just the quintessential reason I started reading the blogs to begin with. :)

    While so many "big" blogs out there are getting more and more 'over-professional' and stuffy, it's nice to have someone out there keeping it real...and keeping it super high quality too! Thanks Vicky... Ranger 911 rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some awesome finds! I'd have trouble giving any of them away, you're a much better person than I am!
    Loveing the name and numbers on the new toy box too. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha! Funny! I was JUST telling KELLY (literally an hour ago) that the toy box was Mack's favorite present. :) THANK YOU! It works in his room perfectly!!!!! And the truck! I am trying to think of a way to display his truck and musical instrument collections!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a great toy box! and your old truck is just so awesome, vickie! this post is full of wonderful finds:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vickie,
    you always come up with the best stuff! Toy box, to cute, the letters, very cool, and that truck, to die for, like you, it would have been hard to part with! Back in the early 90's when we lived in WI and my husband worked for Scheider Trucking, a friend gave him 2 old orange Scheider trucks with their trailors for our 2 boys. We still have them and now they live in his office. And, that great barn, really!! Fabulous! Now, little Tommy Tucker, have to say, just a bit scary with those teeth! Those are some lucky kids, Julie included!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great toy box!
    All your finds are great, loving the truck especially!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just found your blog and really enjoying it. I am follower number 107.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, that toy box is so cute. And that truck is perfect. Just the right amount of "patina".

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used an old ammo box for my son Charlie as a cabinet above his toilet. But he was 24 years old fresh out of the Marines. It's 5 years later and he has a wife and kids, but the ammo box is still there, so he must like it!

    ~Bliss~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness I'm GREEN with envy! That's the best find EVER!!! Whatever!!! Wish I could thrift/estate shop with you! I need you to be my lucky charm!!! Thanks LOTS for visiting earlier! I'm excited to be your newest follower!!!

    XO, Aimee
    Your New Bloggy Friend

    If you're get a free moment,I have a ramsign giveaway going on right now...link on my right sidebar!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You sure found some great treasures I love the old Toy Truck. I spotted a dollhouse yesterday but I could not go outside my budget, so the quilt came home with me. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  14. You found some great vintage toys. My favorite has to be the box. I love old boxes. They are such fun.
    Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such sweet comments. Glad to be your newest follower, Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  15. How did I miss this post?? I love all of it! The box, with the toy truck and harmonica...my faves!

    ♥Linsey

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love that chest...and all your cute finds! Have a great week!...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  17. OH MY...what fabulous finds! I am in love with that beautiful old truck! How cute that room is going to look!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous finds, Vickie! Vintage treasures are so hard to resist, especially when you have someone near and dear in mind to give them to. ;)

    Blessings,
    Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  19. Don't suppose you're looking to adopt??? Lol! Fab pressies :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. be still my heart....

    i love that old truck and know your pain for not keeping it. you sure found some fun stuff!!!! that barn is totally cool!!!!

    xo
    becky

    ps: thank you for the link to the sign. i will check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What an awesome find!!! $7????? I love that you turned it into a toy box. Good idea to put it on wheels. I am the newest "Ranger" :) Hope you can visit me sometime too:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Another kindred soul found! I love your finds, found your blog thanks to pinterest and love it.

    Dutch greetings

    Groetjes Ryanne

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ooooh la la... amazing stuff! LOVE that truck... have never seen one with all of those graphics. Lucky little man you have there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for sharing this awesome blog, I think this is very helpful post about toys. I always recommend this blog.
    wholesale toddler toys

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make it all worthwhile. Thanks for visiting today!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...