Button, button, who's got the button?
Do children even play that game anymore?
Probably not. I don't remember any classmates choking on
a button, but I guess you can't be too careful these days.
When I was growing up, my mother had coffee cans filled with old buttons
that my sister and I spent hours sorting into piles
according to their color, size, amount of jewels, etc.
A number of years ago, I loaned out the last of them to a friend, and that was that.
Occasionally you can find jars of buttons for almost nothing at estate sales,
which is where I found the white buttons pictured above.
If you're in need of buttons, be sure to check Anything Goes Here.
She's selling her entire vintage button collection!
They've been sitting on top of a dresser collecting dust,
so I blew the dust off the cover and used them to transform
another find that's been stashed in the basement
since I bought it last winter.
My 5 dollar trumeau mirror.
The heavy mirror alone was well worth the cash spent,
but as for the art framed in the top section, it had to go!
This photo obviously appealed to the now deceased homeowner
in whose home the estate sale was held.
Can you guess the year this image was published in the decorating magazine?
I've got the missing corner which bears the date
The last digit is missing, but 1940 something is close enough for me.
The clipping was in the frame for over 70 years.
It was time for a change!
To fill the opening where the magazine clipping and glass were removed,
I found a piece of linen and stitched on buttons in the shape of a heart.
I could have glued the buttons to the fabric, but I wanted to be able to reuse
the buttons when I tire of this objet d'art.
If you're going to tackle this project, I would recommend
basting a heart outline on your fabric first. It will save you
time in the long run, a lesson I learned after stitching on
the buttons pictured above.
I painted the mirror frame off-white with home made chalk paint
and then added the button art above, but it just looked blah to me.
I stitched more buttons onto a piece of red corduroy
left over from Little Red Riding Hood's cape
and taped the fabric to a square of foam core with
double-faced carpet tape.
I inserted the whole thing into the opening and held
it all in place with 4 pieces of super-sticky
duct tape. It may be tacky, but it allows me
to easily change out the art whenever I please.
Here's my transformed mirror, just in time for
As always, thanks for visiting.
*I'm joining the parties at:
Cozy Little House Tweak it Tuesday
Savvy Southern Style Wow us Wednesday
Common Ground Be Inspired Fridays
Funky Junk Interiors Saturday Nite Special