Pages

Saturday, August 23, 2014

One little, two little, three little sweaters.

If at first you don't succeed, try again.  And again.  And again.  And again.



I like to have a knitting project to keep me awake occupied while I'm a passenger
 in the car.  Over the past winter I knit this sweet tiered sweater for Finley
while we racked up a few thousand miles on our car.




  It's a simple pattern, knit in one piece from the top down.  When you're done knitting
 all that's left to do is weave in the ends and sew on the buttons.  No seams!
( Lisa Chemery's infant and toddler pattern available here. )


I'm allergic to wool, but the clerk at our local yarn shop assured me
2 strands of this gray wool blend yarn would knit up
 into a soft sweater comfortable for any child.

Encore Tweed color T789/ Lot #49686

Enter the Bean Theory.

In case you aren't familiar with this theory, here it is:
 When you plant beans, you get beans.



When I asked Little Finley Bean if she liked the sweater, she had no qualms
 about telling methat it wasn't very snugly.  And it wasn't purple or pink.
  I couldn't argue with the snugly part, since my nose was itching and my eyes
 were watering the entire time I was knitting the sweater!
  As for the color, I realize now that a soon-to-be 4 year old
 has very specific likes and dislikes.


 Little Maggie Bean is too young to voice an opinion, so I knit hers
 with super chunky acrylic yarn.  Her mommy bean is partial to gray and black,
 so I chose the color to appease her taste.

Lion Brand Hometown USA color 150/ Lot # 11917

Chicago Charcoal is the perfect color for toddling around in the big city.



Then I started on a pink sweater, only to discover (when I was halfway finished)
that the rest of my pink yarn was a different lot number,
 aka a slightly different shade of pink.

Honolulu Pink
Lion Brand Hometown USA color 102/ Lot # 14417


I searched the world over and could find no more yarn in the color I needed.  I even visited
the company website, but they would not ship a specific lot number of yarn.  Soooooo.......
I ripped apart the pink sweater and started a new sweater in the prettiest shade of purple.



Minneapolis Purple
Lion Brand Hometown USA color 147/ Lot # 12087



Did I learn my lesson with the pink yarn?
Why no, I did not.

I was more than half done with the sweater in the prettiest shade of purple when I realized
the rest of the yarn was a different lot number and had more of a blue tint.
 It was 1:30 am, and I prayed my tired eyes were deceiving me, but in the early morning light
 I could clearly see the new yarn was not the same.

  Waaaaaa!  Waaaaaa!  Waaaaaa!
It all looked the same when I bought it!

I searched the world over, once again, and could find no more yarn in....
(y'all join in the chorus now)
"The prettiest shade of purple!"

Can you see the difference?
Well, now that I've posted a photo on my blog I can.

By this time I was ready to toss the blankety-blank sweater into the dumpster,
 but being the recycler that I am, I decided to carry on and donate the sweater
to a charitable organization.

I knit the last tier with the new lot number of bluish yarn, hoping for a sort of ombre look.
 Wouldn't you know, I had to join a new skein for the last four rows of the sweater.
  It was the same wrong lot number.............
but the color matched the yarn I used to knit the top 2/3 of the sweater!!!
 What?!  What?! I'd add one more what ...(along with a few choice words)
but this is the largest font available and a G rated blog.

 Seriously.  Am I on Candid Camera?!!!!

Sooooooo, I ripped out the bluish tier along with a few handfuls of my hair
 and finished the entire sweater in ........ 


the prettiest shade of purple.




And all the beans lived happily ever after.


Lion Brand published this free pattern for the cabbage roses I used to make the brooches,
so they've somewhat redeemed themselves after the lot number fiasco.
I knit the roses and leaves with size 1 needles and fingering weight yarn.
My flower petals curl in instead of out, but I'm a do-it-my-way kinda gal.


  I found the simple leaf pattern at Buttons & Pickles .
I made a smaller size by omitting rows 9-16
 and then joined 2 leaves (wrong sides together )
to make a sturdier leaf.


I think the moral of the story is pretty obvious.
Check your lot numbers!!!
But beware, even if they're different, the color may be the same. 
And if they're the same, the color may be different...........
Oh, forget it!  Knit everything with variegated yarn.


Obviously I was not compensated by Lion Brand Yarn in any way, but if they'd like to ship
me a crate of yarn to keep me busy this winter, my email address is available on my profile.  :)
I will say, however, that the sweaters pass the snugly test, they're machine washable,
and will withstand the hottest dryer setting.  Or so it says on the label.
The label with the lot number.

I'm having a lot of fun knitting up fall fashions for the little beans.

Thanks for visiting,
DeeDee (as I'm known to our grandbeans)


Will they be Barbie sweaters after laundering?
Or perhaps my vintage sock monkeys will be sporting snugly new sweaters.



I'm joining the parties at:
Mod Vintage Life * Mod Mix Monday
Cozy Little House * Tweak it Tuesday
Savvy Southern Style * Wow us Wednesdays
Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson * Share Your Cup Thursdays

42 comments:

  1. I wish I could knit. These are so cute, Vickie. I'm allergic to wool so I miss out on so many cute sweaters and I certainly wouldn't knit with it. Makes me feel scratchy thinking about it! I'm glad you have succeeded with snugly...sweaters must always be snugly. Even blankety blank sweaters.
    You are so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, your posts are not only instructional, they are funny as all get out (I am not laughing at you. Well, okay, maybe I am, but just a little, not a LOT). The sweaters are magazine cute! I'll bet those grandbeans are adorable too. Lucky them to have a stylish and creative DeeDee like you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sweaters. I am sorry you had to go through all that trauma, as a fellow knitter I would have probably thrown them away as I would be so frustrated! Thanks for sharing. Loved the post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute. I'm so envious that you know how to knit. These are such blessed little beans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These little sweaters are soooo adorable, Vickie!!! And the story that goes with them...well you had me laughing most of the way through. :-)))
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so sweet Vickie. It makes me want to get my knitting needles out again. I love the top down knitting patterns. It's my favorite way to knit a sweater. I'm not very fond of seams.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure that had to be frustrating, Vickie...but they are SO cute!! You did a beautiful job on those sweet little heirloom sweaters!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Vickie I love the purple sweater it is too adorable. I wish I could knit but I do not. My 4 year old grands fave color is purple too. Must be a 4 year old thing! You cracked me up with the yarn drama. It is always something!!!!
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have some very blessed little beans! they are each adorable...now Vickie, how can I persuade you to make larger bean sized yarn cabbage roses? I'd be the first in line!!! too cute Dee Dee! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those sweaters are adorable. You're so talented to be able to knit those.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are absolutely gorgeous! Sorry you had to have so many troubles along the way! That reminded me...I started a quilt top ( not done yet ) awhile ago. Take four blocks, sew them together in a certain manner to create a bigger design. Well I did that, took a picture, posted it for a sewing party and had a reader point out that one side was slightly different than the other...did I mean for it to be that way ?

    SIGH.
    NO.
    Back to being Best Friends with my Seam Ripper! :)

    Glad she found it...or I'd have repeated the mistake willy nilly on all of the other blocks !

    Again, though...how sweet these little sweaters are...you are a very talented lady even if you are color blind LOL Just Kidding :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are the sweetest little sweaters I've ever seen, Vickie! Lucky little girls!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMGosh, those are the cutest sweaters ever!! Wow, you're persistent...and very talented! :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lot number? I didn't even know there was such a thing! Hence, why I don't knit or crochet or do anything with yard other than make pom poms (those are HARD). All three sweaters are cute as could be though. And the flower brooches are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have a LOT to be angry about! But, at the end of the knot, they are absolutely adorable! I want one in a big girl size!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those are super cute little sweaters!! You are so talented!! I learned (the hard way) about lot numbers when I began making scarves!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Vickie these the sweetest things, love all the colors. You're very talented. I adore the pins too. What a great grandma you are to make such special items..

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  18. My gosh Vickie - is there ANYTHING you can't do?! These sweaters are too sweet.
    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so sorry that you had the dye lot issue, but your sweaters turned out so beautiful. I am pinning the sweater pattern, the rose pattern, the leaf pattern, and I will check the dye lots when I buy the yarn.

    Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. We gotta get a pic of Maggie and Finley in their sweaters this fall! :) Fun, fun. So cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my goodness, what an ordeal! The finished products, though, are just adorable. I know wool yarns are more "classy," but frankly, I like acrylics since they are soft and washable too. So much nicer than the old acrylic yarn of the 1970s when I first learned to knit.

    ReplyDelete
  22. you poor thing! but, i do love your perseverance, vickie:) the sweaters are so darling and the roses are too cute! you'll have two of the best dressed beans around! enjoy your week!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for sharing your post... keep sharing content about interior designers I'm a frequent reader of your blog.
    Inspirational Modern Home designed

    ReplyDelete
  24. Vickie, these are so darn cute! I am sure that the little Beans are just adorable in these sweaters. I have a 4 year old granddaughter that loves pink and purple also. I think your flowers are just perfect!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh no!! Well they turned out beautiful! I think they need a hat too...right? A sweet hat with one of those adorable roses.....<3
    Hope all is well with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those little sweaters are just gorgeous! Lucky little girls! I don't knit or do anything else with needle and thread, so I greatly admire anyone who is so talented in this area.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Soooooo darn cute! I know it was a pain, but in the end it all worked out beautifully. Love them❤️ Wishing you a wonderful new week my dear friend.

    Hugs and Kisses,
    ❤️Ana

    ReplyDelete
  28. Vickie,
    I was on my way to break you out of the mental ward but looks like you managed to keep your sanity and pull it together! The colors are gorgeous and the sweaters and roses are adorable! You are a much better woman then me, I'm afraid I'd have tossed them and my needles! Looking forward to seeing the girls all dolled up in their cute sweaters!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Vickie, what darling sweaters. You are one talented lady!! The colors are gorgeous and will be precious on your little grands. Sorry about the dye lot mess. I too have had that problem.
    Those flowers are just beautiful.

    Thank you for stopping by and also for visiting my spotlight at Kris's.
    Have a Happy Labor Day!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh my, these are the most adorable sweaters!!! How I would have loved one of those when my Avery was a baby- just adorable! And, btw, I love the name Finley- if my husband would have agreed, Avery's name would have been Finley instead!

    ReplyDelete
  31. These are the cutest sweaters I have ever seen! I'd wear a woman's size, seriously...You are an amazing knitter, Vickie! And your new blog design is fabulous, too!

    ReplyDelete
  32. These are just too cute! You have the patience of Job, my friend.
    And I love the gray. Sweet little flowers, too.
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow...these are gorgeous!! You truly have talent my friend. You could sell these in a boutique!

    ReplyDelete
  34. When I asked Little Finley Bean if she liked the sweater, she had no qualms about telling methat it wasn't very snugly. And it wasn't purple or ... apurplesweater.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. How I wish I could knit beautiful little sweaters like these...or anything for that matter! They're just adorable, and the roses you added are such a perfect touch. You're so very talented Vickie! xo

    ReplyDelete
  36. I LOVE these! The beans are so lucky! I think you just need to get a nice pink turtleneck to go underneath the grey sweater. It would be so pretty. I laughed out loud at your tribulations, because it sounds just like something that would happen to me (certainly with something besides yarn).

    ReplyDelete
  37. There is one thing we have in common (I'm DeeDee to the Grands) and one thing we don't (I don't have the patience to knit). But I soooooo wish I did! And speaking of patience, or should I say tenacity...or maybe sainthood...whatever you call it, you persevered and were rewarded with three of the cutest little sweaters I've ever seen! And yes, it's the prettiest shade of purple :).

    ReplyDelete
  38. Sorry I've not been by for quite sometime. I'm catching up with everyone before I write another post.
    The sweaters are adorable and I love the little roses. I used to knit when I was at art college but my work was pretty rubbish. Having said that I used to wear a sweater I made but then being an art student we could get away with anything !
    Btw, there is no need to reply to my comments, but I really feel I should catch up on all the posts I've missed.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Please, where can I get the pattern? I have a friend with a preemie baby and I think I can adjust this using smaller needles so it will fit. I would be ever so grateful. noahlyn@hotmail.com
    thank you for your time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yo también quisiera el patrón por favor. Hace años que quiero tejer este modelo, parece fácil pero quiero saber exacto como hacer los aumentos correctos. Muchas gracias (barrera264@gmail.com)

      Delete
  40. Hello, I'm french and I liked to read all your writing about your purple sweater. I'd like to knit it, so I went at Lion Brand but not find your pattern for buy it.
    Can you tell me how I can buy it ? Excuse my english not very good !!!
    madelainemylene@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make it all worthwhile. Thanks for visiting today!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...