Pages

Sunday, October 11, 2015

Old Mother Hubbard has chosen her cupboard.


So as not to keep you teetering on the edge of your seat  ;o)
I'm going to reveal my cabinet choice......and I may 
have some splainin' to do.


 I confess, I already had the cabinet in place before I published my last post.
I wasn't afraid of being swayed by popular opinion, because just like most of you,
I like what I like and ain't nobody changin' my mind.  Well, it's possible
I may have been swayed a tiny bit.

It wasn't that I disliked our white armoire, the problem was that it didn't function well 
in the room.  No matter where it was positioned, it partially blocked one of the windows,
and if you've read my blog at all, you know that natural light is of utmost importance to me.


The other problem was that I want seating arranged on the shorter walls of the room
for a more expansive view (when I'm not watching TV) rather than the closed-in
feeling of facing the fireplace wall.  It's hard to capture a feeling in photos,
but there you have it.  The armoire had to go.  In fact, it just left on its way
to a friend's lake cabin where it will be happy to spend the rest of its days
storing quilts and pillows.  So long old friend!


Drum roll please..........


My choice was the least popular of the 3......



What?!!

The craftsman cabinet below was exactly what I thought I wanted.

I printed the photo and held it at arm's length in front of me so it was the right size
on the wall (you've all done that, right?) and I instantly knew it wasn't for me.
I didn't like the busyness of the whole thing, and furthermore, my TV wouldn't look any better
behind the glass than it would out in the open.  As for the smaller free cabinet,
the TV would still be staring me in the face, so that was an easy elimination.

The rather primitive pie safe has a more calm feeling to it.

 The doors don't exactly shut and the drawers don't fit quite right, but
it's nothing a dozen or so shims won't fix.  If you live in an old house,
you may as well stock up on wood shims.  You'll be needing them.

The cabinet isn't centered under the window, and shockingly, it doesn't even bother me!

There were, however, a few things that needed to be addressed right off the bat.
First, I cut 6 inches off each leg.  Height problem solved.

No need to worry about mice climbing the now short stubby legs to snack on
pies I don't bake!
I just tipped the cupboard on its side and used a hand saw to cut through
the legs which cut like buttah.  Easy!  I thought about leaving the front legs
3/8" longer to allow for the dip in our floors, but that seemed wrong,
so they're all the same length.  Shims please!


Next, I covered the 1980's fruitwood stain and poly with a few coats of paint.

Photo taken after 2 coats of paint at 10 PM.  Yawn.  Time to quit.

In case you hadn't noticed, the door panels and side panels had been replaced with plywood,
and it had been hastily refinished at some point and stained an orangey brown,
so I had no guilt about painting it.  If I can tone down the orange, I may keep the top
as is, but I can always change my mind later.  Painting alone helped easy my
buyer's remorse that kept me awake the first night after I bought it.  Is it my forever cabinet?
I don't know, but until the perfect one comes along, it'll do just fine.

In the end, my room may not be picture perfect, but it's got a cozy feeling it didn't have before.
I'll post photos later when the painting is complete.....and the cable and electrical cords
are hidden.....and the new door latches are in place......

Just one more thing before I sign off.  Did you know that Etsy will email photos of items
they think you might be interested in once you sign up for an Etsy account?  Here's
what they suggested I might like to purchase next......


he he

No doubt they assigned this little feller to me after the 
cow clock debacle.  I guess I could start a collection of one-eared what-nots.....
and buy the pink cabinet to display them in!

Thanks for playing along and sharing your thoughts.
Vickie

*I'm joining the parties at:
Tweak it Tuesday Cozy Little House
Share Your Style  The Essence of Home

36 comments:

  1. We like what we like and that's just fine.

    I had a wonderful armoire in the living room for a television we never watched. One day I put the word out that we were getting rid of our tv and the armoire. They were gone in hours (free might have been the deciding factor). Our room grew as soon as they were out the door.

    I can't wait to see the final look.


    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks lovely! I knew whatever you chose would be right, and it clearly is! Can't wait to see the "final" look! It certainly seems more graceful than the huge one, and I do see your point about the pink thing, this one is much calmer. Lovely as always!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. VIckie that was my favorite choice. You did good. I have been leaning towards the natural wood choices lately too. My new armoire is all natural wood and I love it. It only took three armoires this past year to finally get the one I now love. So I get it. The white cabinet was fabulous but if you are not happy with it then it is time for change. Glad it found a new home in a lake cottage. Love love love the craftsman cabinet. Ohhhhh the little one ear guy. He needs you to adopt him!!! Look at that sweet face. He is calling to you!
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I can tell it's going to be beautiful. I love the simple look. You have such wonderful decorating style, that I knew whatever you chose was going to be the right choice! Can't wait to see it all finished!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bahahaha the Etsy suggestion. I did laugh out loud. Well, you didn't tell us how you were going to transform each piece of furniture, or may have been easier to guess! I wanna see the room. Can you open the window, go outside, and shoot the picture from there so we get the long shot? That would be easier than one of those fancy schmancy lenses that get that fish bowl look, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You stinker! Well, not really, because as it turns out, I think it's looking great. Cutting the legs was genius, and really makes a difference in how it looks and feels in the space no doubt.

    That little guy is so freakin cute, and I vote that you give him a home. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great , as to etsy mails, lol...i just hit delete : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks great , as to etsy mails, lol...i just hit delete : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! It looks so beautiful in your space!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well I like the cabinet you chose! I can see how the other one not work as well for a tv. It's more of a display cabinet. I can't wait to see the pics of your room when it's ready.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like your cabinet and I bet it looks even better with it's new color. That picture from Etsy is too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was my second choice. I like it and can't wait to see it with it's new paint treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great choice. That is an hilarious suggestion. xoxo Su

    ReplyDelete
  14. Vickie, I can tell it is going to look wonderful! I love the paint color and I even like the top as is. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it will be great. Can't wait to see it all done up and" Vickie" styled. It's a perfect choice, because it works for you.I think the little one eared guy need a home!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That turned out fantastic, I look forward to seeing a whole picture!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Vickie, your new cabinet paint color is beautiful. It's going to look wonderful. The little one eared guy is too cute. Have a great week. cm

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was initially surprised but now that I see what you've done with it - and why you wouldn't want the TV behind glass - it makes perfect sense why you chose that cabinet! Can't wait to see the complete reveal.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It will be a perfect fit. Very nice. That little guy is just so you! Always fixing what is broken.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It fills your need for the space so I'd call that a success! Now I'm looking forward to you starting a one-eared what-not collection for the pink cabinet. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Somehow I missed your last post but I promise I read it before I read this one...Yay! You went with the pie safe. I love it. Can't wait to see it all done.

    Hugs,
    ❤️Ana

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is the perfect little cabinet and whatever we readers say, you know better what your home wants. I have my eye on one that looks quite the same.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your choice is very pretty. you've got to do what makes your heart sing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You absolutely made the right choice. Can't wait to see the pictures of it in place when you're done!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I like! And I like that you know your own mind :-)
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  26. Vickie,
    you picked the one that best served your need and made (from what I could see of it), beautiful. I have to say the 1 eared thing is a bit scary! Can't wait to see the finished cabinet!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  27. Well I'm late to the party here but I love this little cabinet. Think it look great there --not centering everything adds interest--and I can't believe you cut the legs down yourself. I have a buffet that needs to be lower for a project and you just gave me courage. Looking forward to seeing what you do next.
    xo
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the new cabinet and can't wait to see the rest of the room!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. ok, you won me over!! it's going to look perfect! "one-eared what-nots". hilarious. your reputation precedes you!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh, I think it's going to be just perfect with it's new coat of paint. Sometimes simplistic is simply beautiful! Better nab that one eared fella fast! lol!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm even later than Leslie to the party, but if you had to NOT pick my favorite, at least you found one that works for you :) Can't wait to see the whole thing. It's looking good with what you did with it so far! Did you buy the one eared mouse or whatever he is?

    ReplyDelete
  32. Well I missed out on the debate but love what you ended up with and how you are making it work for you! I know in my small old house function is a priority and you have to earn your keep so as gorgeous as that old cabinet was, I understand why it had to go!

    ReplyDelete
  33. HAHAHAHA!!! I laughed so loud at the Etsy suggestion that I scared my dogs LOL I also enjoyed the part about you not making pies... funny stuff right there :)

    I think the cabinet you chose was the best, but just to drive you nuts, you could have put fabric or paper in the glass so the tv wouldn't show ;) You have me thinking about hiding my ugly tv again. I really need to do something...

    xo,
    rue

    ReplyDelete
  34. Bahaha! That freaky little teddy! I hope this is not based on your etsy purchases! Have you been holding out on us with other freaky treasures?
    I actually love your new cupboard, and had to scroll back to see what I had voted for. I was wrong! Who wants to see a telly and all that crap? The only thing that looks good behind glass is pretty china and books. And shoes perhaps. In my fantasy house. So 'Yay' for making the right choice and I look forward to the big reveal! x

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Vickie! Oh, I love the cabinet and love the color you painted it too. What matters is what you like! Now that is truly funny about Etsy! :)
    Thanks for popping in to see me.
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make it all worthwhile. Thanks for visiting today!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...