Pages

Thursday, January 12, 2017

Sunshine on a cold winter's day.

It's amazing how much more energetic I feel with just a small dose of sunshine!
 I've been busy filling holes in the walls and making lots of new ones, too.


I got tired of the busyness of my picture gallery wall, so I gathered what I could find
to create a quieter neutral grouping.  I took the mirrored panes out of my old window
and turned it around to the chippy white painted side.

  I bought this rickety old window on July 4, 1999 at my hometown antique shop
 (I can remember that day vividly, but I can't remember where I put my car keys 
10 minutes ago).  I'm amazed that the old window trend  
has lasted 2 decades and it's still going strong!  Our girls were high school students
 when I bought it and now their kids are starting school!!



 I replaced the old hats on the wall in this corner with a woven basket
found for a steal at an antique shop.  The folk art carved angel was also purchased
at an antique shop, but neither are old.  She was a medium wood tone
when I found her, but I lightened her up with whitish paint.


 She's kind of a hot mess right now, because I mistakenly added
sanded grout to my chalk paint.  Looks a bit like she's been flapping
around in a sandbox.  Poor thing.

 Gone are all the reds that filled our house over the holidays.


 I'm not much of a frilly flower girl, but these funky pom pom flowers
in a nice earthy green are just my style.  On sale for only $5 a bunch at Hobby Lobby,
I splurged on 3 bunches, two for this bucket and one for the mantel.


 Any room looks better with sunshine streaming through the drafty old windows.
Lots of fresh -20 degree air blowing in, too.



 Little fuzzy green snowballs.


 I painted over my dark wood candlesticks, which look like
I unearthed them at an archaeological dig (same gritty sanded grout 
 chalk paint finish as my sandbox angel).

A new basket holds another wool throw I've been knitting during
long car trips.  It's almost finished.

Side note:  My cedar Christmas garland stayed green for a full month!
It was dry and crispy, but it still looked good and that's all that matters, right?


 I gathered all my woven goodies together to fill this tray.



 I wound a discount greenery swag (also from Hobby Lobby)
 around a grapevine wreath to add some life to this corner.
  Years ago we had a hand-me-down tabletop Christmas tree at work that we nicknamed
"Swamp Thing".  Just thought I'd add that tidbit that came to mind
while I was making the wreath.



 I think it's supposed to be some type of eucalyptus and I chose it because
but it was the only greenery that looked somewhat real to me.


 I bought and returned several styles of lamps to replace the dated buffet lamps
 I sold a few years ago.  I'm still on the fence about these,
but I'm afraid Target's pinned up a photo of me at the return counter,
so I'm keeping them.  I've got another spot in mind for them, so it's all good.

More faux greens fill an old sugar bowl.  I can not keep house plants alive,
 so If you can't grow, go faux! is my motto.


I've had a lovely day off with the house all to myself,
way too many cups of coffee
  and a few pieces of orange chocolate biscotti.


I'll probably be up all night.

Thanks so much for visiting and stay warm!
Vickie


*I'm joining:
Making it in the Mountains The Creative Gallery
The Essence of Home Share Your Style

24 comments:

  1. Your changes look so pretty! I love a day off at home alone to piddle, clean and decorate! I can get so much done! I am in the process of rearranging and purging as well as organizing,it feels so much better but a lot of work!
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love a day to myself from time to time. Looks like you made good use of your time alone...biscotti and coffee sound just about right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Swooning Vickie. Love the texture you added with the hats and baskets. That carved angel is fabulous. I want those hats, baskets and angel. No problem to pack them up and send them to me right?!!!! Ok great!!!!! Have a good weekend.
    xoxo
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel your sentiment wholeheartedly re: sunshine and energy in the dead of winter! Your changes are all wonderful - even the nitty gritty angel and the wreath-making (reminiscent to you of the swamp thing). I need quiet in January (I haven't even penned a post yet), and also prefer the absence of red. Today there was a glimmer of daylight at 5:30 EST, while it was otherwise cloudy, AND we reached near 70°. I'll joyfully accept that as winter! I felt like I'd been transported somewhere much further south, if only for a while. You've got a good thing going on in your decor to help soothe the soul through these next few months.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your home looks so fresh and pretty, Vickie! Perfect for this frigid weather!
    I love the pompom flowers...such a fun pop of color...and he tray full of goodies is so lovely under the big window. You've made me wonder why I don't have any pretty windows hanging in my house! They make such a statement! Stay warm, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are going to be some changes around my home too! A little less!!You have some nice pieces of furniture. I enjoy visiting your home!
    warmly,
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sunshine always recharges my batteries. We had some today, and it was so pleasant to sit in front of the window and look at the snow twinkling in the sunlight as if glitter had been sprinkled all over it. Love all the changes you made. If Kris decides she doesn't want the baskets, angel and hats, I'm next in line. ;) Totally love the Target lamps, by the way. Especially placed on the little plates. Brilliant! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. where have I been? that buffet/desk/dresser is totally amazing! Is it Stickley? My husband has a few pieces that we have downstairs, your piece is gorgeous! Also love your wicker tray filled with wonderful covered bottles and your Gothic windows. just wonderful! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vickie, it looks so pretty! I am craving a cleaner home with less clutter. I'm still loving my pottery collections but trying to edit them to an enjoyable amount. Love the faux's! I have a few house plants that I've kept alive for years but others that have died almost right away. Oh well, I try!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm like you where I'm much more energetic if the sun is shining. I'm loving those pom pom flowers - I thought they were real at first! You're the only one I know who can make faux flowers like that look so good.

    There are two real plants that I swear you wouldn't be able to kill - pothos and snake plant - also known as Mother-in-Law's Tongue. Overwater, underwater, shade, sun, both - doesn't matter. It's all good.

    Anyway, your house always looks so crisp and clean. My house is in total disarray right now, getting ready for the contractors. Can't wait 'til it's all done and I can start putting my house back together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. your home is looking quiet and serene...

    Please visit: http://from-a-girls-mind.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm loving all the basket wrapped bottles in the living room (I'm sure there's a name for that, but it's escaping me right now). Your room looks very fresh and almost spring-like!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how light and peaceful this is. It's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Vickie, it all looks so fresh. Love the arched windows and the little touches you've added. I bought the same lamps from Target,I loved them, but had to return them-too small for my bedroom. You're inspiring me to get going on simplifying and fresh decor.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It all looks so cheerful. And at the same time, restful. I love those pom pom flowers. Need to check those out. I can keep house plants alive, but I always seem to get gnats, which terrify the pupsters! What I would give to find an arched window like that cheap!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm in love with your living room, one of my favourite on blogland. It's cosy and it seems it would be the perfect room to spend a winter afternoon. I like that your decor makes the room very personal and yet it's simple and not too busy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. To look at your lovely home, no one would guess that it's winter outside.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your changes! The little pom pom flowers look so cute. They are subtle and add just enough decoration to your room. I like your lamps too. They look classic so you can't go wrong with them. I love sunshine too. It's cloudy here today and it's affecting my mood.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the house. Everything looks so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  20. We've had so little sun here and today it did peep its head out! Love your changes can hope you inspire me to get going. After the holidays I find it so hard to be motivated to decorate...like being burnt out about it. You love is lovely and I really love blue and white in winter...Thank so much for your kind words on the passing of our Little One.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I need a bit sunshine in my days too! My hubby loves rainy days which has helped me appreciate rainy days some, but only a little! I love all of your natural elements and baskets, especially with your blue. I tend to use a lot of baskets too. I think it helps warm things up. Your photos and styling are always so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your home is so gorgeous, Vickie! I'm loving all the neutrals, and the wicker and greenery - it just feels fresh after the holidays. PS I love those lamps, they're perfect there!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Certain shades used to decorate or enhance the home environment have been scientifically proven to affect mood and behavior. Warm colors typically illicit emotions of aggressiveness and irritability, the fact that red was removed from the environment was a productive step in maintaining a peaceful and comfortable atmosphere. The added greenery brings liveliness and a healthy energy to the room.

    Franklin Stewart @ Muller Exteriors

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make it all worthwhile. Thanks for visiting today!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...