Pages

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A Stitch in Time

Most of the estate sales I've attended have vintage linens for sale
at bargain bin prices.  I think I paid a dollar or two for these embroidered
linens that embellish pillows I sewed for the grandbabies.

This pillow was made from an embroidered guest towel.


The center of this pillow was a vintage birth announcement that was never completed.

At recent estate sales, I've been looking for vintage redwork
pillowcases in good condition.  Having no luck at all, I searched online
and found reproduction patterns at Lace Tales Embroidery.

Here's the pattern I ordered.  I even have my choice of English or German lettering.


I also found some lace edging I hope to incorporate into the pillowcases.



This pattern is also available from Lace Tales.  Wouldn't a pillow with one design on the front
and one on the back make a sweet baby gift?

Redwork embroidery is done with the stem stitch which I've never
done before, so I picked up this reference book at Joann Fabrics to practice
before I tackle the pillowcases.


It comes with a DVD to download traceable patterns or can be used for
programmable machine embroidery.  Obviously, I chose the hand embroidery method.

Here are the two towels I've completed so far.


The one on the left is for me and the mini towel on the right
is for Finley's play kitchen her parents are working on.

You can see traces of the blue fabric marker that comes off
by blotting with cold water.


The redwork book is filled with adorable patterns like these.....


but this is the one that Finley loved best....


I think you can see why.  :@

I have two days off, so I may even get my mending done.

Or not.

The sun just came out, the snow is almost gone and it's forecast to be
in the 60's today. 

I'm going outside to play!

Have a great day!
Vickie

Join the parties at:
The Farmhouse Porch Cowgirl Up
Knick of Time Tuesday
The Cottage Market Pillowpalooza
Common Ground Vintage Inspiration Friday
Vintage Farmhouse Creative Things Thursday

20 comments:

  1. Vicki,
    your pillows are so cute! You got some great patterns, looks like you are going to have some fun stitching away! Finley is adorable!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vickie,
    Those pillows are so sweet.I would love to make those.But I don't sew.Someday I want to buy a sewing machine and try.I did learn in high school but that was a loooooong time ago.What a cute picture of Finley.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Grandma's were never without their fanciwork to do when they took time to sit down. I just love vintage linens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You has a great blog. I'm very interesting to stopping here and leaves you a comment. Good work.

    Lets keep writing and share your information to us.

    Nb: Dont forget to leave your comment back for us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, la la! Gorgeous pillows -- love how you rescued the embroidery! Beautiful edging too. I've got some old bleached flour/sugar sacks that I've got to get busy with and the old style embroidery patterns would be perfect! Enjoy the outdoors - I've been in and out all morning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Vickie! Oh, what precious pillows! I love them. I'm working on some red work pillow cases right now! I just love to embroider! Thanks for letting us know about that site.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Finley is so cute and so are those pillows! Can't wait to see your pillowcases!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your granddaugher is precious! I love that redwork that you've done so far. Enjoy your warmer weather. It has been cold and windy here and is supposed to warm up later this week. I'm SO ready!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable post! I love the Monday stitching. Thanks for sharing. Cheers SpecialK XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so darn talented. Your pillows made me smile. Those little good night pillows in red, we have a lady in our antique mall that makes and sell those in blue and red just gorgeous. I am sure yours will be too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH I love fun old embroidery like this! Your pieces are wonderful! Love the lace pieces, too...your creations will be great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. your pillows are precious! thank you so much for sharing with us and thank you for linking up to our party!!! hope you had a nice day outside playing!!! : ) hugs...your newest follower! : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an adorable idea! I love the idea of sewing those tea towels on! I have one that would be perfect for this project.

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  14. PS I almost forgot (I was so excited over your pillow)....Thanks for linking up to the party!

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I have the same pattern of redwork , the Good morning, Good Night

    I bought the patterns at a quilt show in Paducah Kentucky one year.

    I use to love to embroidery

    thanks for stopping by my blog

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love those pillows with the vintage linens. I was just thinking of diong the same. And your needlework towels are amazing! I'm impressed.

    So very, very happy that you linked up to our Pillopalooza slumber party!

    :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love redwork and I have never found a single piece! It must be because it's so popular. I plan to make some of my own some day:>) Love those patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  18. adorable pillows, and granddaughter! love your lace findings, too:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. You old fashioned girl you! I adore the way you styled those beautiful towels. Wonderful work. I haven't done embroidery in a long time. But it's cheery as flowers to me!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make it all worthwhile. Thanks for visiting today!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...