In my last post I showed you the wood shutters on the front of
our house. I mentioned that they needed to be painted, but on closer
inspection, we realized that the upper shutters should be replaced.....soon.
simple job even for us. We had some scrap lumber in the garage to play with,
and a problem area inside our house that could use a privacy shutter,
I lined up the boards and pencilled a simple cut out design on the center pieces.
My handyman cut the moon and star shapes with a jigsaw and then we
screwed the vertical pieces to the horizontal braces. I made my own chalk paint
with flat red paint and unsanded grout. The wood was already distressed, so
I didn't have to work hard at making the shutter look aged. And, believe me,
there are already enough distressed surfaces to contend with in this room!
We added horizontal braces to the back side so the shutter
will look finished whether open or closed.
(This is the best shot I could get with the available light when the shutter is closed.)
I added a hook for an outhouse feel. After all, the shutter is located...
....in the man cave biffy. Just a very small step up from an outhouse.
Exposed plumbing and steam pipes and a bare light bulb create the industrial vibe
we all want to bring into our homes. :@
I'm sure the opening was designed to let daylight into
an otherwise windowless room since it's positioned adjacent to the laundry room window.
Normally it's not a problem, but when there are guests in the back yard, they might see a wee bit
more than they bargained for, if you get my drift. Mmmm, hmmmmm.
Given the history of my gardening fiascoes in our yard,
I'd have to go with that pesky squirrel smack dab in the middle.
Well, if you'll excuse me, I've gotta go!
Thanks for stopping by,
*Joining the parties at:
Funky Junk Interiors Saturday Nite Special
The Farmhouse Porch Cowgirl Up
Common Ground Vintage Inspiration Friday