Pages

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Good elf, bad elf.

I know many of you have these 1960's elves in your collection of Christmas decorations.  Last year I noticed that Target started selling a new updated version of this elf that comes with a book.  I didn't really pay much attention to these elves until our daughter Julie emailed an article and photos to me, knowing it would be right up my alley.  The story told is that once you adopt an elf and give him a name, he comes to life at night and journeys to the North Pole to report to Santa.





It's during these nightly excursions that these mischievous elves get into all sorts of predicaments.  I found the following photos on Pinterest that show how much fun they have when nobody's watching:








This is totally something I would have done to entertain our girls when they were little!  We had one of those very realistic looking fake arms that the girls and their friends loved to find in the most unusual places!  More recently, I've been known to surprise unsuspecting guests with my mannequin head laying on a pillow in one of the bedrooms. 

I guess my elves have lead a sheltered life.  Until this year, they've been placed on top of an old cupboard in the basement and pretty much forgotten.  I don't think they've been up to any hijinks, but then again, I don't pay that much attention to stuff in the basement unless I'm dusting.  This year I moved them upstairs and propped them in a funky turquoise jeep on our fireplace mantel.

I've been gone a few days, and when I got home, something seemed to be amiss in the living room.  I knew something was different, but couldn't quite put my finger on it.


The new tree lights are working.  Yes, we had to remove the faulty lights from our pre-lit tree and add all new strings of white lights.  So, that's not it.  What could it be?

I sat down on the couch to catch up on the mail, and something  felt weird.

Then, I looked up at the mantel, and something was out of place.


What in the world?!#

It can't be.....

It is!!!!!

They broke my couch!!!


I knew it!  That trouble-making green elf was just waiting for me to leave the house!




Bill, did you drink all that milk I left out for Santa?




Busted!


There are still 3 days left to sign up for my sock monkey giveaway!


Linked to:
Common Ground Vintage Inspiration Friday
The Charm of Home Home Sweet Home
French Country Cottage Feathered Nest Friday

22 comments:

  1. Hahaha. ;) I LOVE the milk mustaches. HAHAHA. THAT is what happened to the couch, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your sense of humor! I would crack up seeing that mannequin head on a pillow if I walked in as a guest. I love that kind of stuff! Love the little elf in the shower to!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those naughty naughty pixies! They sure are busy little elves.

    xo,
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your elves are so cute and I just love the Elf on the Shelf idea. Hopefully someday when I have kids of my own I can something that looks like so much fun!

    ~Trisha

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are just plain hilarious! Hope you get that new (vintage) sofa, and while you're at it, please mention to Santa that I could seriously use one too. Thanks for visiting me at Redo 101 and for your nice comment, it's great to meet you.

    Hugs,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. This pictures are so cute. My daughter thinks Elf on a Shelf is awful and scares kids. Oh well I think it's kinda fun! Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too funny! Those elves definitely rate the Naughty list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure if the elves are learning from you or if you've learned from them. ":o) Enjoyed this fun post ... as usual, it's filled with your wonderful sense of humor. I'm thinking your letter to santa just might work...I'll be watching for pictures of that new sofa.

    ReplyDelete
  9. SOOOOoooo cute! I have some of these guys, too! They are so sweet and charming! Don't you just HATE RE-stringin' a tree?! Been there, andrea@townandprairie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seriously amazing post!!! The images of that darn elf are just hysterical... I have a friend who had a late in life child a year ago, so I know about this elf from her. Fun post. Lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sooo cute!! your pics are adorable!:) I've been seeing alot of those elves around blogland. hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the elf adventures! I have a friend, who along with her 3 children, is posting photos of their elf's mischief each morning. What a wonderful new tradition! Lovin' it!!! Great post! (I hope Santa is good and brings you a new, or vintage, couch!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute post! Come on over to Junkaholics Unanimous and check out my Christmas Sneak Peak posts to see my elves, I think you'll love them!
    Following now! Hope you decide to do the same. Merry Christmas!

    Amber at http://www.junkaholicsunanimous.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never seen these elves before just recently; it's so funny what people are coming up with, but your elves are seriously naughty! Breaking your couch!! Thanks for the laugh :)
    -Jill

    ReplyDelete
  15. Makes me wish my girls were still young to play this with them, Elf-mania for sure. It's so darn cute. But hey, I'm thinking you might come out good in this deal. Can Santa fit a couch in the sleigh? Have a great Christmas week! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well Mom ... I'm finally reading your blog ... and I laughed OUT LOUD. No really ... OUT LOUD. (I could seriously see Finley amongst those elves ... funny).

    ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  17. HA! How cute! Have a very Merry Christmas! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like I've been missing all the fun! I collect these little guys! I call them pixies! And mine are always up to something, too! Have fun! And Happy holidays! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE your elves... they look kind of Thelma & Louise-like in the Jeep! I think it is just like mine, only the elves went through some brush and tore off the windshield!! I must find on of these -- Macy (and I) would have a riot with him in December. Thanks for coming to visit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so dang cute!! I love the milk moustache! I'm so glad you left a comment so I could read of your Elf adventures.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make it all worthwhile. Thanks for visiting today!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...