Pages

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Do you hear what I hear?

Well, the verdict is in.

I've been waiting on pins and needles for the results of my
allergy testing and last Thursday I finally got them.

I do indeed have allergies.
Dog dander, ragweed, aspen trees, white pine, mugwort (what the heck is mugwort?),
and yes, dust mites are the culprits.

D.Pteronyssinus and D.Farinae.  Ewwww.

I thought I would be leaving the doctor's office red-faced with detailed
instructions on ridding my house of dust, but it seems my allergy problem
was just the tip of the iceberg. 

Next up was the elaborate hearing test.
I was seated in a soundproof booth, much like a contestant on a game show
and instructed to play a hand raising game.  There were sound effects of
blowing wind and whispered words.  There was a guessing game as to
what IS that word I'm hearing.  Lots of fun all around.

The audiologist showed me the result graphs and pointed out the areas of concern.
She told me my moderate-severe hearing loss qualified me for hearing aids.
Hearing aids.
I heard that loud and clear.

She went on to explain that my asymmetrical loss and "cookie bite"
shaped graph indicates a genetic form of hearing loss that is
permanent and irreversible.


How can that be?
I'm functioning just fine.
Or am I?

I can't hear conversations when there is loud background noise.
I'm constantly asking coworkers to repeat themselves.
I can't carry on a conversation in our front yard during the heavier daytime traffic.
Conversing while bike riding.  Forget it.
Conversations in the car have become quite.....humorous.
The sound is bad on my old TV, or so I thought.
Constant ringing in my ears.

The signs have been there all along and in the back of my mind I knew
I had a problem.  That's why I made the appointment in the first place!
After the initial shock and a few moments of my "poor me pity party",
I realized that on the road of life, this is just a very small bump.
I work in the medical field and see the real challenges, much
larger than mine, that people face each and every day.

When asked if I'd like to start the process of being fitted for hearing aids,
I very maturely replied,
NO!!!!

I'm not there yet.

The audiologist patiently explained to me that hearing loss is not just about
the person with the loss, it's also about how annoying and frustrating  it can be
 for those you live and work with.  Hmmmmmm. 

Too darn bad!  Hehehehe.
I've found a solution online for the annoyed and frustrated (you know who you are).




99 cents apiece. 
You'll all be getting one for Christmas!



I've turned off the comment button for this post because I didn't write it to get sympathy.
I just needed to get it off my chest so I can get myself into the holiday spirit!!!
But my comment button will be turned on for my next post, because what
good is a giveaway without a comment button?

Coming up next.....
the 2nd annual Ranger 911 Christmas Giveaway!!!
Thanks for stopping by,
Vickie

Oh, and by the way..........
 You wouldn't be able to hear the bell either.
It seems my elf on a bell is missing his dinger.


3 comments:

  1. Ah yes, the joys ... love your humor about it, made me smile several times ... thanks for sharing the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a darling elf.. the whimsical look caught my attention :) Sounds like you've been through the ringer with tests.. yuk:{ I agree with Pollyanna.. humor is so important in life. Good for you!

    leslie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I am going through a few of these issues
    as well..
    Here is my web page - swollen ankles heat

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make it all worthwhile. Thanks for visiting today!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...