Pages

Sunday, January 4, 2015

Unfocused.

We've been lucky enough to avoid this year's influenza outbreak so far,
but now's the time of year when cabin fever strikes.

One of my many unfinished projects.

We're headed into a deep freeze.  The kind of cold that makes my drive to work
feel like I'm driving a car with square tires and no heat.  As for evenings and weekends?
I'm not even bothering to go out unless it's a chocolate emergency!

Frost pattern on one of our old windows this morning.

In an older house like ours with lots of drafty windows  fresh air, I spend most of
my winter evenings in the living room in front of the fireplace working on knitting or
sewing projects or perusing blogs and Pinterest on my laptop.  I get so many ideas
from the blogs I follow and Pinterest that I'm never at a loss for a new project.


Over the holidays, Kelly at The Essence of Home showed us her cute
Anthropologie snowball garland and it inspired me to make my own.



I found wool roving on sale for $5.24 a skein at JoAnn Fabrics
 and one skein was enough to make 10 pom poms and a 72 inch I-cord.


I knit the I-cord with 3 stitches on size 10 needles.


My garland doesn't have metallic gold thread in the yarn like the original garland,
 but not to worry, we've already got plenty of sparkle on our ceilings.
(A strand of metallic gold thread could be intertwined with the yarn.)



The garland will keep Miss M company over the cold spell.


I bought these candle holders at IKEA to use during the holidays,
but they were a bit much with all of the other color in the room, so I 
packaged them up to return on our next trip to Minneapolis.


After I undecorated our mantel I thought I'd give them one more try,
and Hey Mikey, I like them!



I think they warm up our stodgy old fireplace with a fun pop of color.


Speaking of  stodgy old fireplaces.........


 Oh Joy!

Whilst perusing Pinterest, I happened upon this tutorial by Carla
 of Hammers and High Heels.  She and her husband transformed the fireplace
in their 1924 Dutch Colonial and the tutorial and accompanying photos make it look
  so simple that I think even the Rangers 911 will be able to follow them.
  Woo hoo!

I have so many plans for the new year my head is spinning!
(Or it could be the last of the sugary treats I've gobbled up.)

Here's what's on the docket for 2015:



 I'm ordering curtains (I can return them if they don't work out) for the bedroom
 because I  cannot live with the unruly polyester curtains I made.
I'm now gun shy about purchasing that much fabric again and not liking the curtains.
Also, I vow to finish painting the four windows before summer rolls around.


Open shelving in the kitchen.
 
I didn't think I could install open shelving under our kitchen soffits.....


 .....but Kris at Junk Chic Cottage proved me wrong.
Perfection!



I'd like to remove the upper cabinet in the far right corner
 that houses our dishes and replace it with two shelves *deep breath*
and install beadboard above the tile backsplash.
  Crown molding where the soffit meets the ceiling?

I don't know when (aka what year) this will all get done, but it's on my wish list.



There are also a few projects that need to be attended to
 before the next holiday.


Number 1 & 2

Do you remember what happened to Goldilocks when she
sat on Baby Bear's chair?  If my mother had not been paying
attention, she may have been sitting on a pile of chair spindles
during Christmas dinner!  Yikes!  I will be gluing all the joints
in both of the chairs with my dependable Gorilla Glue.


This next project will be a true test of our carpentry skills or lack thereof.

 Build a new house!!!!
Yes, you read that right, this is not a typo.








he he he  Just havin' a little fun.
When I saw that Danielle (Blessed Serendipity) owned the exact same
dollhouse that we found for our oldest granddaughter (below),
 I started searching online for old dollhouse patterns.





Low and behold, lookie what I found on Etsy.....


Can you believe it?
I honestly thought the dollhouse was much older, but the pattern
is dated 1981.   I'm hoping that we have the skills to put together the dollhouse before
Maggie's 3rd birthday.  The house is solidly constructed to last a lifetime....
the one we already bought, that is.  We've ordered the pattern
 and we've got just under a year to get it done.

Whew!

*I'm beginning to see why Bill says I have
trouble staying focused.

Emma Kate at Paint and Style posted this on her blog and I pinned it because
 it sums up what's going on in my head most of the time....



   I think most of you reading this post can relate.  :o)


Many thanks to all of you for the inspiration you provide throughout the year,
and here's to a constructive  2015!
Vickie


*I'm joining the parties at:
Cozy Little House Tweak it Tuesday
 Have a Daily Cup of Mrs.Olson Share Your Cup Thursday

30 comments:

  1. Love the snowball garland and the mouse. Making a doll house for your granddaughter is so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you have a list of goals to help keep you focused, Vickie. I have no doubt you'll accomplish all of them! Love the pom-pom garland you made.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pom pom garland you made! so glad to know that mine inspired you to make one of your own. The red candlesticks are pretty on your mantel. That was a good idea to give them another try. Your granddaughter is going to love her new dollhouse! What a sweet grandmother you are to make that for her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm too afraid to put my intentions in writing, so I lose sleep (often), thinking them through. I also do a lot of replay when I get a lot done - lying awake, mentally checking off my list. Yes, I can relate to the open tabs comment.I love that garland, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Evening Vickie, Those colored candles holders look GREAT on your mantle!! I agree, that pop of color is very pretty with your room! And isn't Kris fabulous when it comes to renov/decor ideas? If it can't be done....she is going to find a way~~~I think her example is perfect for your kitchen. Your kitchen will be gorgeous with the open shelving....I LOVE my open shelving...it has worked perfect for my tiny 8 x 9 kitchen. Also, I have always had a fascination for doll houses.....but I haven't ventured there yet......Blessings~~~Roxie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vickie, I think we are related in some way or form! And I love that image of having 2857 browsing windows open. Yup. That would be moi, too. First of all, love love love your pom pom garland. Awesomeness! And your Ikea purchases are quite happy little pops of colour. Don't you just love IKEA? I am going there to finish off some rooms here soon. Cannot wait! I know that whatever you do will be stunning and beyond perfection. I would love a white kitchen with open shelving. Beautiful.
    Have fun and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh I love those cute pompoms! Can't wait to see your fun 2015 projects, Vickie...you always inspire ME! I have an area that I've been considering for open shelving, too...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Vickie,
    You will accomplish all your tasks and more!!!! You go girl you can do this in 2015!!! Love the pom pom garland so sweet. Have a great start to the week. We are getting the arctic cold here too. Ughh how many more months do we have to go before we can fling open the windows?!!!!
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are renting a house right now in Florida (thank goodness we are here since it's freezing where we live in Mass.) and the kitxhen is all white with beedboars paneling and some open shelves as well as glass cabinets. It's so very pretty!

    I saw those Pom Poms on Kelly's blog and thought they were adorable too. Your's looks so sweet, and the idea of putting metallic thread sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have heard a lot about cabin fever, but I can't imagine living with it.

    Despite our mild California weather, I too sit by the fire and knit or embroider at night.

    Have fun building your doll house. When KC was 6, I built her a doll house from a kit. It took me about a month of working in the shed every single night after the kids were in bed. It now sits in the attic waiting for a grandchild to play with it again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your knitting projects are beautiful. I need to start one, too. Love your plans for the new year. I think the plans for the kitchen are perfect, I have wanted to do this for years but just kept putting it off, as I have the old metal cabinets. Maybe I will revisit this idea, this year. Have fun with your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, I have no idea what roving is, but I want some! You just get started on all those projects and I'll sit back here and watch :) I can supervise from afar.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck with all of your projects! I just love your pom pom garland, it's so sweet. It was 72 degrees here in Virginia yesterday, which is unseasonably warm. In the 40's today though.
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  14. well first of all, I can't believe how cold it gets there. I seriously complain with it drops into the 40s. So I guess it's official, I am a wimp. Even my hot flashes wouldn't help me there :)
    I love what your planning for your kitchen, isn't it amazing how much inspiration we can find blog hopping and on pinterest.? I can't wait to see your changes. Wishing you a wonderfully happy and creative 2015!
    hugs,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Vickie, love your pom pom garland. What a fun project. I have no doubt you will accomplish all that you have an idea for this year. Love the graphic quote. That is me most of the time too.
    Have fun with the doll house. It is amazing the inspiration out there on blogs, pinterest, etsy and more.
    Stay warm!!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  16. Vickie, I love the pom pom garland. I think I have one pinned and thought about making one, but haven't done it yet. Yours looks super cute! I have open shelves in my basement kitchen and I love them. Kris's entire home is perfection. lol! Can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve for this coming year.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your ambition sure is admirable! My kitchen has soffits too (I hate them) and I'd love to remove some of the upper cabinets and install shelving, but you know how one project leads to another...with even just the painting, our entire kitchen needs painting. And I'm not a painter and neither is hubby! So that won't be happening right now. And truthfully, our bedroom is first on my priority list. It needs a total renovation.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the pompom/snwflake garland...I also love the idea of open shelving in your now bright kitchen. I had to check what "soffits" were, so thanks for teaching me a new word so early in the morning. I currently have 14 tabs opened on the computer and God knows how many in my mind... Does that make me creative or unfocused?

    ReplyDelete
  19. i just love the pom pom garland, vickie!! might have to try it:) the candle holders look great with your quilt, too! you have a perfect spot for the shelves in the kitchen. only awesome g-moms build houses for their g-daughter:) happy 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Vickie, yes, I've seen that same dollhouse several times on Ebay, although I have to say the one you found is the prettiest I've seen- such a beautiful color!! I'm surprised it's as recent as 1981 though! It looks much older. I did the same thing with one of my dollhouses, by accident. I found it at a thrift store, and just happened to see the plans for it while perusing Ebay a few weeks later!
    Hope you're having a great new year!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've already got beadboard to make a back splash. Here's to getting it done! I can't wait to see all that you get accomplished in 2015.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds like your winter calendar of to do's is pretty full!
    I've always wanted a doll house...maybe I'll (have Jim) build one some day!
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That Ecard! Yes!

    So I have that Anthro garland and I have to say, you did a fantastic job! I can't bare to take mine down yet so up it stays until probably spring and then it will move to the studio and stay up all year!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think your kitchen is great the way it is, but the additions would add so much charm! I actually had someone fall flat on the floor while sitting on my antique oak chair! Then another person almost did but the cracking noise alerted me to get them up off of it quick! Both are fixed but I am careful who sits on my chairs now! Love all your ideas for decorating this year. I just want to finish painting the other half of my kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh yes I can so relate and now I've just added another item to the list - pom pom garland.
    It's not cold here but has rained a lot which means I get to 'play' and I'm continuing with decorating the hall and wc, new ideas popping in my head all the time, the odd dog walk and left over holiday feelings making me watch old black and white movies (the boss has closed the café for 10 days for essential repairs, so I'm very happy).
    You've got some great projects lined up, that doll's house is going to be such fun. I hope you achieve everything you want to in 2015 - I'm sure you will.
    I need to close some tabs.......

    ReplyDelete
  26. I do love your cute pom pom garland. I know your new house will be perfect when you are finished. You are so talented. Your little Maggie will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the photo of the frost! Looks like art. :) And Maggie is super excited for the dollhouse. No pressure. ;) Hehehe. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow you are ambitious...wanna come over and help me with a few projects this year ;-) . I am so happy that you popped over for a visit.I was thinking about you and your lovely blog.I went to find you and it looked it was gone :-( . I thought oh no did I miss something.So glad to see you are back. I will be stopping by often.I need to see these awesome projects you are working on ! Love your pom-pom garland.And that doll how is so adorable! What a great find! Many years ago I found one for my daughter,but luck have it , the house was already put together...for 25.00! I still have it, even though she no longer plays with it.Best wishes to you and your family in this new year!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh Vickie, good luck with your project list....I am rooting for you. I have my own long list that I am determine to get done this year....At the beginning of every new year my hopes for accomplishing that long list I put together every year are high but boy the older I get the faster times goes by and by the end of the year I always wonder what happen...Hee, hee, hee. But like every year I am determine this year will be different. Fingers crossed :-)

    Hugs,
    ❤️Ana

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Vickie, just hopping back to let you know that I will be featuring you at SYC this week.
    hugs
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make it all worthwhile. Thanks for visiting today!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...